If you are over the age of 18, there are two ways to legally change your name in Iowa. The first can only be used in the case of divorce. The second option is open to anyone who qualifies as a legal adult.

1. Changing Your Name In a Divorce Case

If you are looking to change your name as a part of a divorce case, the request must be included in the petition or in the answer. Changing your name as a part of your divorce case does restrict what you can change your name to. Your choices are:

  • The name on your birth certificate
  • The name you had directly before the marriage

2. Using a Petition Legally Change Your Name in Iowa

If you are not changing your name as a part of a divorce case, you are required to file a Petition for Change of Name [DOWNLOAD]. There is a $185 filing fee and you must file the petition electronically.

When filing your Change of Name petition, you need to disclose:

  • Your current name
  • Your county of residence
  • A physical description including height, weight, hair and eye color, race, and sex
  • Place and date of birth
  • Place of residence(s) for the past five years
  • Reason for request
  • A legal description of all real estate in Iowa owned or in which you have any legal interest
  • The new name you are requesting to take

In addition, you must include a copy of your birth certificate with your petition. If you are unable to provide a copy of your birth certificate, you will be required to explain why and provide a different form of identification.

Still have questions about how to legally change your name in Iowa? Request a consultation with Daniel Willems to get all your questions answered!

Request Your Consultation